The GP39-2 Phase I and the two boards. On the left is the Rx60-2 and on the right is NCE's D14SR Decoder.
This is the board that the engine comes with and gets replaced if you are using a DCC decoder. The board is plugged into an 8 dip pin
for holding purposes.
I removed all of the components by heating the board and shaking off the surface mount parts. I then sanded off
all copper traces on both sides. The pins were left on to mount the bridge rectifier and motor wires.
The ~ (AC) input wires were soldered to the incoming wires from the wheels and the motor wires were
soldered on to the pins going to the motor.
NCE D14SR decoder board installed.
The Rx60-2 Radio Control board installed. Notice no modifaction needed to engine frame.
Video showing how easy it is to change from decoder board to modified Radio Control board.
I ran the engine to test how it worked and succeeded to blow the drive chips on the R/C board. Discovered that the engine will pull
approximately 5 amps. with the wheels spinning. The R/C motor drivers are only good for up to 2 amps. The project has been moth balled for now