Kato/Atlas Motor Rebuild
In January 2013 I bought 5 RS-3's from Mike Rose. Along with that purchase Mike threw in, what I believe to be an Athearn Motor at the time.
But it's not it's a Kato/Atlas motor. He said it was making a noise and since I like tinkering with stuff like this I disassembled the motor but found nothing of an
significance to make a noise. I did find that the magnets were not glued to the motor case. I remedied that with a couple of drops of ACC glue. When I went to assemble
the motor I slipped pressing one of the metal tabs on the can part of the motor and broke part of of the plastic brush holder housing. I fixed it by making two plates
that fit over each end and two 2-56 threaded rods that holds it all together. At the end is a picture of the locomotive it will be mounted in.
Here's the motor with the unbroken side of the plastic housing
Here's the motor with the broken side of the plastic housing
The unbroken side of he plastic housing.
The part I broke.
Were I applied a few drops of ACC and the tabs that hold the plastic brush housing.
The two plates, threaded rod and four nuts.
Assembled on the motor. Good as new.
Sitting on the chassis of the locomotive the motor will be used.
The scratch-bashed "juice jack" with shell on the chassis.